Copy Editor - Weekend Evenings, CNNLocation Atlanta, Georgia
Position Type: Full TimeJob ID 179142BR Apply Now
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
A CNN Copy Editor checks scripts for accuracy, style, balance, conformity to EP's instructions and CNN Standards. These duties include checking source material, verifying font and tape information and printing scripts when they are ready for air. Copy editors may be called upon to write some scripts. A copy editor may also be asked to review a writer's performance. The copy editor is expected to be a close adviser to the producer on any editorial issues or problems that arise with assigned scripts.
- Editing copy so scripts are easy to understand, more interesting and more user-friendly.
- Work toward compelling, conversational anchor copy that is accurate and up to date.
- Print scripts when ready.
- Check accuracy of all components of program, including graphics and other on-air editorial elements.
- Rework scripts when necessary.
- Work to improve network-wide accuracy by pointing out errors if/when they occur in Wires.CNN or other resources, or on the air.
- Demonstrate a strong familiarity with CNN Stylebook and CNN Legal Standards to ensure consistency that increases CNN's credibility.
- Demonstrate proficiency with CNN font codes to make our on-air product look smart and communicate useful information clearly.
- Correct format scripts with instructions to director on left side.
- View video and graphics to make sure scripts and images match.
- 5 years full time broadcast news writing and/or editing required; 7 years desirable.
- Four-year college degree or equivalent in proven industry experience required.
- Editing skills-checking accuracy, balance, language, style.
- Ability to produce quality work quickly.
- Flexibility-ability to adapt during breaking news, ability to adapt to program or anchor style and rewrite when necessary.
- Must be eager, cooperative, energetic, team-oriented.
- Leadership- leads writer team and takes active role in many aspects of program preparation.
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
- 2018 Best Company for Dads
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS