Trending Writer, CNN Español Digital NewsLocation Miami, Florida
Position Type: Full TimeJob ID 179345BR Apply Now
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
This person creates and curates stories that are published and shared across CNNE's mobile and desktop sites, apps, social accounts and other platforms. It is a team of highly driven storytellers with one goal: Stories that sing and content that's smartly packaged, socially shared and sparks conversations. As part of this team you will be thinking mobile first as you come up with story ideas daily and write compelling content with accuracy, urgency and flair. The successful candidate will understand what makes highly engaging and shareable digital stories that interest audiences on different platforms in different parts of the world. Applicants should have a deep understanding of how stories travel on the internet, feel comfortable with all major social media networks and know their way around key listening tools like Crowdtangle, Tweetdeck, and Google Trends, among others. This is not just an 'article writer.' This is someone who knows how to write briefly and breezily when needed, but who can handle high-concept stories, as well. S/he knows how to live blog, how to write in formats that go beyond the newspaper-style article including lists, bullet points, stories with embedded video and social as well as basic charts and graphics templates. We are looking for someone innovative, full of creative ideas and multi-skilled in digital production.Has a solid understanding and passion for web and popular culture, particularly in US Hispanic and Latin America.
- Pitches and writes stories and content that gives CNN a distinctive voice and a competitive edge in the digital news arena.
- Writes sourced daily trending spot and feature stories, primarily focused on key audiences for CNN en Español digital platforms.
- Writes quick stories based on CNN en Español TV interviews and original content that might get immediate repercussion in our key markets.
- Files clean, clear and engaging copy that explains to readers not only what is happening but why.
- Contributes story ideas at daily editorial meetings.
- Collaborates with social media team to craft posts to maximize audience reach for the trending stories.
- Adapt to different styles of writing depending on the subject and platform.
- Able to juggle multiple listening tools and make editors aware of trending subjects or topics across verticals.
- Experience working with communities such as Facebook Groups, Reddit, and messaging apps such as Whatsapp, Telegram, and others.
- Knows how to smartly frame a story and can suggest clever, compelling and accurate headlines and smart complementary graphics or visual ideas.
- Track record of writing trending or breaking news stories at a global or national media outlet; at least 3 or more years of digital storytelling experience.
- Comfortable working well under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Experience of enterprise and reporting out stories themselves, not just aggregating other outlets or using wire services.
- Experience writing breaking news in real time as a story unfolds.
- Deep knowledge of the Latin America news agenda and a curiosity to keep learning.
- Experience writing about style, travel or entertainment is a plus.
- Knows how to use the key listening tools to find trending news topics and stories.
- Strong technical capabilities including working on different Content Management Systems and news operating systems.
- Perfect grasp of written and spoken Spanish and English.
- Attention to detail is essential.
- Understanding of journalistic standards and media law.
- Self-starter with a history of delivering outstanding results.
- Knows how to read analytics data from our audience to write in tune with those audiences’ interests.
- Proficiency using notifications, alerts, and all kinds of mobile tools to keep track of potential trending stories.
- College degree or equivalent experience.
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
- 2018 Best Company for Dads
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS