Director, Data EngineeringLocation New York, New York, United States
Position Type: Full TimeJob ID 177461BR Apply Now
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
We are CNN. THE WORLD'S MOST ESSENTIAL AND ENGAGING SOURCE OF DIGITAL NEWS. We are in the midst of rapid transformation and need you to help us find the next generation of innovators, makers, and dreamers who will lead and drive our growth. We aim to make the world a better, more connected place. Join us!
We are seeking a Director of Data Engineering to join CNN's Data Intelligence (DI) team. Our core team is made up of Machine Learning (ML) engineers and data scientists who are building and deploying ML solutions for CNN's editorial, consumer experience, and monetization teams. The Director of Data Engineering will play a critical leadership role at the nexus of all of these teams. She/he will be responsible for planning and executing the engineering needs for the relevance and recommendations capabilities, which focus on growing and deepening user engagement across CNN's user base. This will include a multi-modal, real-time content recommendation system to be deployed across all CNN content verticals and consumer experience platforms (web, mobile, and streaming TV). Additional work streams across CNN DI include data and privacy governance, building user registration and a unified view of CNN users across devices, data ingestion and infrastructure set up that supports a centralized data lake, and building ML platforms and APIs in close collaboration with the data scientists. We are looking for an Engineering Manager with experience in data engineering to help support our engineers as they build and maintain scalable and reliable data pipelines. The position requires someone who is comfortable striking a balance between cutting-edge and pragmatic solutions. You'll lead and nurture a team of engineers and partner with data scientists, architects, product managers, delivery managers, and other groups within CNN to increase our data capabilities and facilitate technical innovation.
- Be responsible for hiring, coaching, mentoring, and career development of engineers.
- Work collaboratively with data science, product and delivery managers to define success metrics and roadmaps, and be accountable for the delivery of your team
- Influence the technical design and architecture of our stack, and support your team in developing scalable and reliable systems
- Foster a shared purpose among team members that enhances the capabilities of the team by building a collaborative learning environment
- Be a thought leader and a strategic partner to all cross-functional tech teams in the application of cutting-edge techniques to real-world business problems
- Degree in Computer Science or similar fields.
- 4+ years of professional software engineering and programming experience (Java, C++, Scala, Python)
- 3+ years of architecture and design infrastructure (reliability, scalability, quality)
- 4+ years of experience as a people manager and hands-on experience leading engineering team(s)
- Advanced coding skills for analytics and data engineering practices (concurrency, distributed systems, functional principles, performance optimization)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong ability in SQL
- Hands-on experience with big data warehouses such as Snowflake or BigQuery
- Hands-on experience performing analysis with large datasets in a cloud based-environment, preferably AWS with an understanding of Google's Cloud Platform
- Hands-on experience in creating ETL pipelines
- Hands-on experience driving optimization, QA testing and tooling to improve data quality
- Comfortable with tackling very loosely defined problems and managerial skills to lead a team which has autonomy in their day to day decisions
- Deep knowledge of software engineering best practices
- Experience in serving as the technical lead in deploying ML platforms and real-time APIs
- Experience with large scale distributed data technologies and tools
- Familiarity with functional programming paradigm
- Experience working in a cross-functional, large scale, global D2C or digital media company, in an engineering or insights role, preferably partnering with data scientists
- Ability to translate business requirements to technical architectures and designs
- Comfortable communicating with stakeholders (internal technical and nontechnical members, product managers, C-level management)
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS