Director, Data Product ManagementLocation New York, New York, United States
Position Type: Full TimeJob ID 176792BR Apply Now
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
The Team - AI-Powered News
CNN is the world's number one news brand. In the TV era, we broke the mold by creating the world's first 24-hour news channel. In the digital era, we evolved to become the number one digital news brand with 150+ million global consumers of news across web, mobile app, and streaming TV devices. In the Artificial Intelligence (AI) era, we aim to break the mold once again by harnessing the power of AI to deliver the world's most trusted, personally relevant, and empowering news and broader media experiences. Underlying our aspirations is the belief that AI will positively impact the news industry both for creators and consumers of news. The inherent traits of AI to detect and learn patterns within massive amounts of data will significantly impact how news is gathered, produced, distributed, and monetized to its audiences.
Here are just a few examples of high-impact problems we are working on:
News Gathering. Can AI help journalists and editors more quickly identify, fact check, and decision what to write about given hundreds of data sources with thousands of potential stories?
Consumer Discovery. Can AI help consumers discover news and stories that interest and empower them while ensuring they are exposed to a diversity of topics and perspectives (i.e. avoid "filter bubbles")?
Contextual Advertising. How might AI help brands identify and connect with global micro-communities of audiences in a contextual, seamless manner within their news discovery and consumption experiences?
We believe in a human-led, machine informed approach to developing the next generation of personalized news. We also believe the right approach to doing so is via the integration of some of the world's top journalists, UX teams, and machine learning experts with this single mission and vision in mind. If you share our passion for this purpose and vision, we hope you read on.
We are seeking a Director of Data Product Management to join CNN's Data Intelligence (DI) team. Our core team is made up of Machine Learning (ML) engineers and scientists who are building and deploying ML solutions for CNN's editorial, consumer experience, and monetization teams.
The Director of Data Product will play a critical leadership role at the nexus of all of these teams. She/he will be responsible for defining and managing the relevance and recommendations capabilities, with a focus on growing and deepening user engagement across CNN's user base. This will include a multi-modal content recommendation system to be deployed across all CNN content verticals and consumer experience platforms (web, mobile, and streaming TV). This role will report directly to the VP of Data Product Management and will preferably be located in New York, Los Angeles, or Atlanta (although other major locations such as the Bay Area or Atlanta are acceptable).
- Define/develop user engagement oriented KPI measures, including the development algorithm-based indexes or scores
- Partner with data scientists to mine user behavior and activity in order to learn where product improvements can target the user engagement KPI impact
- Develop/manage the product ideas backlog, including all prioritization and scoring for delivery teams
- Lead/partner with cross-functional consumer experience teams to define experiments in order to iteratively test new machine learning solutions
- Partner with ML engineering and scientists to build, optimize, scale and integrate research and experimentation results into new AI capabilities and products
- Partner with data platform product and engineering to build the right infrastructure and deliver robust data pipelines (to ensure ML solutions can be deployed at scale)
- Hands-on position to write use cases and requirements, lead functional and technical design discussions and work with delivery and engineering teams to deliver the project.
- Work hand in hand with data science team to identify new approaches and algorithms to solve customer experience challenges
- Monitor the health of projects at all times along with the associated risks and implications to timelines; lead the resolution of cross-functional issues
- Provide business and technical expertise on how to identify and apply ML solutions to the consumer experience (e.g. profiling, personalization, recommendations, search)
- Evangelize and educate broader CNN digital teams on AI and related data technologies in order to increase organizational awareness and knowledge
- 5+ years consumer product management experience, preferably developing user discovery or personalization features using machine learning solutions
- 3+ years of experience in a technical product or data science/advanced analyst role
- Proven track record of roadmap execution partnering with data science teams
- Passionate data evangelist with ability to inspire others to learn and apply ML solutions
- Ability to lead through influencing in a matrixed organization (i.e. people follow without having hierarchal direct control/reports)
- Led one or more projects to implement a recommendation engine or other related ML based discovery or personalization feature
- Strong academic background in a quantitative field such as mathematics, physics, computer science, engineering, statistics (advanced degrees a plus)
- Demonstrated ability to manipulate, analyze, and interpret large amounts of data, organize findings, and translate into actionable insights
- Quick learner, with the ability to work independently in a matrixed environment; adaptability and a strong self-teaching ethic are highly valued
- Experienced in making hard data-informed decisions (A/B testing and experimentation, user testing, data analysis, defining metrics)
- Good instincts matched with deep analytical and systems-level thinking to focus on the things that matter most and build long-lasting platform products
- Highly effective communicator with proven ability to influence and motivate cross-functional teams
- Comfortable in a rapidly changing landscape while also good at sorting out ambiguity
- Proven know-how to inspire, motivate and support a team to get things done
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
- 2018 Best Company for Dads
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS