Visual Editor - Digital, CNNLocation New York, New York
Position Type: Full TimeJob ID 178982BR Apply Now
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
We are CNN. THE WORLD’S MOST ESSENTIAL AND ENGAGING SOURCE OF DIGITAL NEWS. We are in the midst of rapid transformation and need you to help us find the next generation of innovators, makers, and dreamers who will lead and drive our growth. We aim to make the world a better, more connected place. Join us!
At CNN Digital, the way we tell stories is just as important as the stories themselves. Whether it's breaking news, investigative journalism, or enterprise storytelling, our visual journalism breaks down stories for audiences in unique and interesting ways. The diversity of approaches allows us to better inform our audiences with essential and engaging news storytelling.
We are expanding our visual journalism team and are looking for a Visual Editor who will help pitch, edit, and execute visual storytelling on the web - from graphics and interactives to emerging storytelling forms. The person in this role will work primarily on US national news and help shape visual narratives and coverage, while also collaborating with a team of visual editors and journalists across the organization. This is a player/coach role, where you'll have ownership over shaping story ideas while also being able to get hands on in building out projects. The position will be remote for the time being and eventually based at one of our US bureaus.
- Identify and pitch visual story ideas relevant to the news cycle
- Partner with other national editors and reporters to brainstorm visual coverage ideas and find gaps in current story planning.
- Plan proactively for major events and identify strong visual opportunities
- Assign and edit work by visual reporters and designers
- Edit and help execute visually led stories for daily, long form, and breaking news, including maps, charts, graphics, animations, and mobile first interactives
- Collaborate with the Visual News team to refine standards and best practices for data and visual journalism including data visualizations, interactives, photography, illustrations, and animations
- You are enthusiastic about excellent visual journalism and can share that enthusiasm with patience and clarity
- You put the journalism first, have impeccable news judgment, and are always asking "what's the best way to tell this story?"
- You work at a high metabolism, have a lot of story ideas, and can make decisions quickly around how to best cover breaking news and developing stories
- A reader-first perspective and strong commitment to multiplatform storytelling
- You're comfortable working collaboratively, individually and with cross-functional teams
- You are a varsity level communicator and feel as comfortable walking through a story pitch with editors as you do coaching a developer on an interactive interface
- 3+ years of relevant newsroom experience
- Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- Access to in-house learning and development resources
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS