Rights Manager, Business Affairs (HBO)Location Santa Monica, California
Position Type: Full TimeJob ID 180870BR Apply Now
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.HBO is one of the most respected and innovative entertainment brands in the world, serving iconic, award-winning programming to 140 million subscribers globally. A subsidiary of WarnerMedia, HBO is the world’s most successful pay TV service with an extensive array of programming that includes some of the most notable titles to be on television, including drama series Succession®, Watchmen®, Westworld®, Big Little Lies®, Game of Thrones®, The Sopranos®, Band of Brothers® and The Wire®, as well as comedy series Barry®, Insecure® and Sex and the City®. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
Home Box Office, Inc. seeks a Rights Manager for the HBO General Inc. – West Coast Business Affairs – Picture department. Rights Manager reviews, analyzes, and tracks a large volume of complex contractual rights information and manages rights database. Must be comfortable working with multiple database applications and be able to handle a heavy workload, including advising production, programming, marketing, distribution, legal, and finance executives on ad hoc rights inquiries and requests. Additional responsibilities include tracking options for development projects, approving and drafting screening licenses, verifying rights for clip licenses, performing rights research and compiling deal terms as well as preparing reports for senior management and Legal teams.
- Review, analyze, and interpret all agreements administered by HBO Business Affairs in connection with all series, films and miniseries and enter rights information, including availability dates, holdbacks and restrictions, into rights database. Review rights entries entered by other team members.
- Ensure external departments maintain copyright compliance by advising on and distributing accurate and timely rights information to the Program Strategy & Planning, Warner Bros. worldwide distribution, Finance, Marketing and Promotions and Litigation/Anti-piracy groups, and providing those groups accurate responses to ad hoc rights inquiries.
- Review, analyze, and track all documents, contract requests, amendment requests, and correspondence relating to development projects, and tracking option deadlines for documentaries and documentary series. Advise programming executives and attorneys of option deadlines.
- Prepare summaries for production fees such as relocation fees, tickets and trailers for hour long and half-hour productions. Prepare Option Advisory Report for hour long dramas and half-hour comedy programs.
- Approve screening requests and draft licenses for screenings of HBO programs to external organizations, including but not limited to, non-profit organizations, educational institutions, local and governmental agencies, and health organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5 years of experience in rights management and analysis
- Previous managerial experience a plus
- Organized self-starter with demonstrated ability to manage multiple, competing priorities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required
- Strong knowledge of intellectual property rights (particularly copyright law), media rights, underlying rights, and the digital media landscape, including OTT and VOD
- Proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel
- Strong research skills
- Must be comfortable managing large volume of complex data entry and computer applications
- Ability to provide solutions to complex rights issues under tight deadlines
- Sensitivity to confidential information is required
- Must pay meticulous attention to detail. A team player, yet able to work independently and produce accurate work product.
- Must be proactive, demonstrate initiative, highly organized and able to handle a heavy workload
- Must work well under pressure
- Must be able to interact with and communicate with colleagues among various divisions and levels within the larger WarnerMedia organization
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS