Assistant Managing Editor - Washington DCLocation Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Position Type: Full TimeJob ID 178019BR Apply Now
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
CNN is seeking an Assistant Managing Editor for the Washington DC bureau.
- Outline reporting priorities across the beats to help sharply frame the big stories of the day and position efforts with an emphasis on anticipating where storylines are headed
- Work with newsroom leadership and beats to conceptualize sharply framed stories and harness reporting across Washington coverage areas for daily stories.
- Bring together reporting in the best possible way working with television and digital journalists in our integrated newsroom, at times taking the lead in writing the overall story
- Drive reporting focused on the why and the how, guiding development of stories from start to finish
- Navigate through the organization to identify and harness reporting from multiple teams in multiple locations
- Develop strong connections with top-notch correspondents
- Coordinate with beats and digital team to make sure the best of the day’s reporting is getting showcased on TV and online
- Combine strong editorial development and strong narrative writing skills to shape unique reporting
- Help teams consider approaches, source hunt and priorities for key storylines of the day
- Oversee specific story chase on any given day with team of producers and correspondents from across the DC beats
- Enhance reporters’ storytelling style with distinctive voice
- Work with planning staff to coordinate upcoming coverage of developing stories.
- Other duties as assigned in 24/7 work environment
- Report to Vice Presidents of News in Washington.
- Bachelor's degree. Master’s or higher degree preferred.
- 10+ years' experience in an editor or reporter role at a traditional or digital native news organization.
- Show a passion for political and Washington news, and embrace the urgency politics demands.
- Sound editorial and social judgment; excellent writing and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, high pressure environment, making independent decisions to prioritize reporting.
- Strong management and leadership skills.
- Proven experience for developing audiences across web, mobile web, social accounts. Strong understanding of mobile, apps and social (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter).
- Strong copyediting skills.
- Understanding of digital and television, and ability to move seamlessly between both.
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS